Explore financial aid opportunities through government programs and Bethel scholarships designed specifically for veterans or those currently serving in the military.
Amount: Up to $500 per semester ($1,000 maximum per year)
Renewal: Students apply every year.
Type: Bethel scholarship
Eligibility: New, regularly admitted, degree-seeking students who are serving, or have served, in the U.S. armed forces (includes reserves and National Guard). Recipients must be enrolled at least half time for the term. Recipients do not need to demonstrate need, and are not eligible for other Bethel-funded grants or scholarships. Students already receiving gift assistance from any source (including military benefits) that fully meets tuition are not eligible for this scholarship.
Amount: Up to $1,000 per term for full-time students. Up to $500 per term for part-time students.
Renewal: Student must apply every year. Lifetime maximum of $10,000.
Eligibility: You must be a Minnesota resident who is a:
- Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in any branch of the United States armed forces at any time; or
- Non-veteran who has served honorably for a total of five years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after September 11, 2001; or
- Spouse of a person who has served in the military at any time who has died or has a total and permanent disability as a direct result of that military service. (Student must also be eligible to receive federal veterans education benefits as a spouse or dependent.)
Academic requirements: Must be a student in good standing
How to apply:
- Apply for financial aid at Bethel and complete the FAFSA.
- Learn more about the Minnesota GI Bill and complete the online Minnesota GI Bill Application.
- Notify us when you’ve completed the application and submit a copy of your DD-214 to our office.
Yellow Ribbon Program
Amount: Up to $10,000 per year
Renewal: Students must apply every year.
Type: Matching grant program run by the Veteran's Administration
Eligibility: Veterans or their dependents who are eligible for 100% Post 911 GI Bill Benefit and whose tuition and fees exceed $19,198 per year. Bethel will match, dollar for dollar, up to $10,000 per year, the Yellow Ribbon funds provided by the VA. Students who receive Yellow Ribbon funding are not eligible for other Bethel-controlled grants or scholarships but may receive federal and/or state grants in addition to the VA educational benefits.
How to apply: Students apply for Yellow Ribbon funding through the Department of Veterans Affairs, and indicate receipt of this funding by submitting Bethel's Military Benefits Verification form:
- Military Benefits Verification Form 2013-2014 (pdf)
- Military Benefits Verification Form 2014-2015 (pdf)
Additional Programs and Certifying Officials
See our list of military benefit programs and certifying officials to continue exploring your options or to contact someone with your questions.