Why Special Education at Bethel?
Bethel's special education programs will prepare you for a successful teaching career and provide you with an initial or additional teaching license.
Here's some statistics from our most recent Bush Exit Survey* given to our students:
- 97% of our teachers said they would recommend the program to other teachers, citing such reasons as teachers that care beyond coursework; because Bethel is a place that provides a great and comfortable learning environment; and effective teaching.
- 100% said they felt prepared to effectively teach the subject matter in their licensure area.
- 92% said they felt prepared to effectively teach students from culturally and ethnically diverse backgrounds and communities.
- 84% said the program gave them the skills to engage students in using a range of technology tools to access, interpret, evaluate and apply information.
- 96% said they were satisfied with the quality of instruction in their teacher preparation courses.
*Funded by the Bush Foundation, the Bush Exit Survey is a valid and reliable instrument. This survey was designed and issued by 14 higher education institutions in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota. It is given to students toward the end of their program.
Adult-friendly Program Features
The Special Education programs are specifically designed for the working professional. Grades are based primarily on written assignments, projects, presentations, class discussions, and small group participation. Plus, you'll experience:
Individual attention. Our small classes mean your professors will get to know you. They're committed to your success every step of the way.
Cohort support. The cohort--a group of fellow students who stay together throughout the program--creates a supporting learning and working environment and network of teachers who will be a support for you throughout your career.
Faith integration. We teach from a Christian faith perspective, which takes the special education field to a deeper level.
Experienced faculty. Our professors come with a teaching background and maintain regular contact with some of the best classroom teachers in the area.
Targeted help. Our student success advisors and writing consultants will help you with questions throughout your time at Bethel.
High Licensure Pass Rates
To qualify for teacher licensure, all Minnesota teacher candidates must demonstrate competencies by passing basic skills exams in reading, writing, and mathematics, along with exams over pedagogy and content areas. Results are reported to the Minnesota Board of Teaching and the United States Secretary of Education. In the most recently reported MLTE scores (2012-2013) among Bethel M.A. in Special Education students:
- 89% passed the basic skills exam
- 96% passed the content exam
- 98% passed the pedagogy exam
93% of those who completed the program were eligible for a license.